[openbiblio-dev] Bibliographic Metadata Guide is now on Wiki !

Primavera De Filippi primavera.defilippi at okfn.org
Tue Nov 8 17:48:27 UTC 2011

Hi again,
just to let you know that the guide has now been renamed to the Open
Metadata Handbook, and is now available at the following address:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Metadata_Handbook

I have cleaned up and re-organized the 3 sections, but in particular I have
started to a preliminary draft for the last section on Recommendations.
It would be really great if you could help me fill this section up with
your comments or suggestions.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Metadata_Handbook/Recommendations

This is the most important section, since this iswhere we present our
conclusions / recommendations on what we consider to be the most
appropriate standard(s) for the purpose of open bibliography.After a lot of
discussion and debates, we decided that it would be best to convert this
last section into a decision-tree, where different data providers can
answer simple questions in order to find out what are best-practices for
them, in terms of exchange format and metadata format.
There currently are 3 main questions regarding (a) implementation costs,
(b) interroperability, and (c) data integration
We probably need more than that, and definitely need more detailled
sub-categories for each questions - in order to reach our conclusions in
the end.

Please don't hesitate to come up with suggestions or ideas concerning the
decision-tree that we should formulate, and, of course, feel free to
contribute directly to the guide by editing the wiki !

Thanks,
Primavera