[openbiblio-dev] github

ianibbo at gmail.com ianibbo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:36:14 UTC 2011

(With apols to PMR for duplicate, forgot to cc list first time)

This is vaguely reminiscent of a discussion I was having with Owen
Stepehens on twitter (And in person with Tony H last weekend)  about a
bib-hub style service... It's not clear to me from your text exactly
what features of github you're talking about exploiting, but I think
there's a massive parallel between some of the big-scale issues we
have with bib data management and git style branch/merge. I suspect it
would be missing a huge trick if you were to treat git as essentially
"Just another bitstore" and not look carefully at it's workflow.

I also think this points back to a discussion on this list that
questioned the wisdom of creating yet-another ultimate
copy/aggregation of bib data when what we really need to do is better
manage the collections already out there.

Ian.