[openbiblio-dev] github

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 16:29:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> > but one of the papers in the PMR symposium was communally authored in
> Latex on Github.
>
> Please can you say which one?

 I have copied in Noel who was the lead author on the Blue Obelisk Reloaded
paper and also Egon

Noel
We are thinking of using Github as a communal tool for managing Open
Bibliography, with each contributing BibSoup having its own Github node.
IIRC the BO paper was authored on Github - we'd be very grateful for a
summary of the pros and cons of GH for communal authoring of resoureces. In
this case we would be authoring JSON. (I have noted that there is a eGit
editor for Eclipse - do you know of other tools?)

> It could be a big win for us to encourage and support use of Github for
> LaTeX/BibTeX as the
> BibTeX component would then be right there for piping into BibSoup.
>
> In particular, I would like to try using Git for my own LaTeX/BibTeX
> projects which are extensive.
>
> Does Git provide a suitable plain text editor?
> If its good enough for editing code, it should be good enough for editing
> JSON.
> So maybe we get a suitable JSON editor, though perhaps without validation.
> And why not encourage Git to provide a JSON validation service?

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics