[openbiblio-dev] github

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 16:49:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Mark MacGillivray <mark at odaesa.com> wrote:

> I would appreciate input from Noel, but also just want to add that I
> think there is some confusion here over what git does. Using git
> enables us to have version distributed version control on a repository
> (a folder). It places no restriction on what sort of editor we or
> other people use. We can put any file into a git folder, and edit it
> using anything we want.
>
> Fully agreed. Git is a source code management system independent of the
means of creating the source code. It does not provide editing tools.
However there is likely to be a good suply of Git-compatible systems (e.g.
Eclipse plugins) which may support syntactic authoring. But these are not
essential - the editing can be done in any Unicode-compliant tool (we do
need to insist on every document having a specified encoding).

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics