[openbiblio-dev] github

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 05:26:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 17 November 2011 09:52, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I have widened this out to openblio-dev.
> >
> > Yesterday Mark, Jim, Ed Chamberlain and me attended the openbiblio skype
> > (http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/catchup? ) and one of the ideas that
> came up
> > was of using GitHub as a way of managing BibSoups. The idea is, I think,
> > that each BibSoup has a Bibserver (probably running in a cloud somewhere)
> > and that the raw content of the BibSoup is managed by Github. I include
> the
> > last mail below for more detail.
>
> I think you can do a find and replace throughout your text of github
> with git :-) Mostly you seem to be talking about versioned storage for
> material / data. (Or is there something specific to github?).

Thanks to everyone contributing - *I* at least am becoming educated!

I took the idea from the article:
http://marciovm.com/i-want-a-github-of-science/index.html

which implied to me that Github had support for social infrastructure as
will as simply code versioning. I *haven't* used Github myself and didn't
realise it was a walled garden - if so I am seriously disillusioned, though
possibly there are better alternatives.

It may be that  Marcio von Muhlen <http://marciovm.com/>'s ideas of Github
are flawed - if so please tell me where - or has he got the germs of an
idea.

BTW this shows the value of discussing things on open lists. Flawed or good
ideas get reviewed very quickly

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics