[openbiblio-dev] [bibserver] changing handling of collections from frontend to get them working properly again now that collections are stored as separate objects (937d3e2)

William Waites ww at styx.org
Sun Oct 9 17:08:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:06 -0700, pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Pitman) said:

    JP> Or "All
    JP> conversations in Statistical Science" or "All obituaries in
    JP> IMS JOurnals" or "All review articles in IMS JOurnals", these
    JP> are all interesting collections which we should make an effort
    JP> to accomodate.

These kinds of collections would be best modelled as the results of
queries, right? Taking that approach when possible would help
eliminate a lot of (de)duplication problems down the road.

So generally,

  1 A collection can be explicitly enumerated

  2 A collection can be expressed as a list of queries that returns
    its elements

    2.1 A special kind of query that might be a good candidate for
        optimisation is the "include everything from other collection,
        recursively"

    2.2 The (1) is also expressible as a list of queries that just
        fetch elements by their identifiers

?

-w