[openbiblio-dev] [pd-discuss] Bibliographic Metadata Guide

Primavera De Filippi primavera.defilippi at okfn.org
Tue Oct 11 15:04:36 UTC 2011

Hi Karen and Jim,
thanks a lot - this is a very useful contribution to the guide !
following our discussion last week, I believe it would be useful to
reorganize the guide as following:

*** Section I will determine key elements needed for discovery,
identification, location, and deduplication = Identify minimal & full
metadata elements (best practices) for every type of work - but let's
start with texts for now!  :)
I have added your contribution to the pad -
http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/metadata-elements

Once we identified the proper metadata elements, we need to choose how
we want to represent them, which depends (a) on the exchange format
and (2) on the metadata format of choice.

*** Section II will analyze the state of the art in terms of currently
available standards and their different fields of application (who
uses what): http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/metadata-art
which could probably be merged together with
*** Section III that identifies the pros/cons of the most popular
standards concerning bibliographic works:
http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/metadata-procons

Finally,
*** Section IV, where we should present our conclusions /
recommendations on what we consider to be the most appropriate
standard(s) for the purpose of open bibliography:
http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/metadata-conclusions

As suggested during the conf-call, it would be nice if the latter
could be framed in the form of a decision-tree, where data providers
can answer simple questions in order to find out what is the best
exchange format and metadata format for them.

Thus far, we need people to contribute on Section I, in order to
review and complement Karen & Jim's list of minimum & full metadata
elements, but also to address the list of open issues that are listed
at the end of the pad.

Section II and III are pretty comprehensive at the moment, although we
might need some additional information concerning the last part (who
uses what)

whereas Section IV is still to be started !

Looking forward to your input ..   :)

Primavera