[openbiblio-dev] [pd-discuss] Bibliographic Metadata Guide

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Sep 7 16:23:46 UTC 2011

I'm not at all sure about the section on metadata data models in:
   http://openbiblio.okfnpad.org/metadata-art

It seems to be a mix of models and serializations. You might want to look at:

http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/

in particular the 3-layer diagram. In that framework, you have domain
models which I find to be very useful ways of thinking about the
metadata. For example, libraries have an older domain model,
International Standard Bibliographic Description, and a newer one,
Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records. Those describe the
entities of the domain.

RDF is an even lower level model. I don't know of anything that rivals
RDF at that level.

For serializations you have things like turtle (for triples), XML (for
data that can be marked up in a flat record),  JSON, another
record-based serialization. Even MARC is a serialization that can
carry a variety of data types (as ISO 2709).

To me, a model describes the entities of your metadata "realm" and is
independent of any serialization. So if you want your metadata to
cover, say, text documents, then you would define your entities:

resources
   independent resources
   contained resources (articles, chapters)
   resource containers (journals, books)
agents
   creators
     persons
     corporate bodies
etc.

An example of this is the Scholarly Works Application Profile:

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/Eprints_Application_Profile#Scholarly_Works_Application_Profile

which begins with an E-R model:

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/Model

The model itself has the potential to be implemented in various ways
using different data elements and different data structures. Once the
model is clear and the data elements have been defined, then you can
choose one or more serializations. The serialization is really the
least important part, since most data can be conveyed using more than
one serialization.

Sorry to go on about this, but I think that using this methodology you
are less likely to paint yourselves into a corner, something that
happens rather frequently with metadata. These methods help you create
metadata that is extensible and that has a solid model as its basis.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net