[openbiblio-dev] JS editor component for BibJSON?

Tom Oinn tom.oinn at okfn.org
Mon Aug 6 09:14:01 UTC 2012

On 6 August 2012 10:06, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com> wrote:
> check out jtedit and see if it helps you :
>
> https://github.com/CottageLabs/jtedit
>

> You may not want to use it as it stands, but the method it employs for
> presenting data on the page may be informative. I found that trying to
> present JSON in an editor was too restrictive when the JSON can have
> multiple levels of complexity, so instead it displays a simple text box with
> the JSON plus scans for input fields tagged with class .jtedit_blah, and
> when they change it updates the JSON. That way, when you know your complex
> JSON layout, you can design a page e.g. with lists, tables or whatever, and
> drop jtedit in to handle the updates.

Oh, I've no intention of displaying anything that looks like JSON,
that would be a usability nightmare :) Is there a demo of jtedit
anywhere? The github page with 'docs are on the way' doesn't encourage
much further exploration!

What I'm building is something to allow users to create bibJSON
records from scratch - needed because I'm allowing locations in texts
within textus to be tagged with partial bits of bibJSON and creating
an algorithm to derive a 'bibJSON for this bit of text' by aggregating
all these partial pieces together. So for example we might tag
location 0 with the full citation for the text, then add fragments at
further locations which modify the chapter or page number only. So for
those purposes I need something which allows users to create a bibJSON
object with, say, just a page number and nothing else.

bibJSON is a particularly nasty case for editors because the potential
schema is huge, we can't just present an empty form with all possible
fields (tried that, it filled the page and was rather unfriendly as
many fields are mutually exclusive or at least mutually nonsensical).

On a related note I saw a commit message (I think) on facetview
mentioning the ability to plug in custom renderers for results, did I
imagine that?

--
Tom Oinn
+44 (0) 20 8123 5142 or Skype ID 'tomoinn'