[openbiblio-dev] bibjson -request for feedback

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 18:27:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Mark MacGillivray <
mark.macgillivray at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just wrote this post on openbiblio.net:
>
> http://openbiblio.net/2012/02/21/json-ld-bibjson/
>

> Please have a read and get back to us with any thoughts about the
> propose adoption of JSON-LD for BibJSON - the purpose being to use a
> bit more widely known method of doing namespaces (and using namespaces
> as the basis for supporting validation where groups wish to perform
> it).
>
> Our next project sprint is on March 12th, where we will be updating
> parsers, so final decision will be made and implemented then, and
> pushed to the repo and to bibsoup.net
>
> Thanks,
>

> Without reading the details I am in favour. We develop our chemical
dictionaries using namespaces, the crystallographers are starting to do the
same, etc. Namespaces are 15 years old - people are starting to feel
comfortable with them. (This is not a joke - it takes that sort of time).

The JSON-LD spec is still in draft. Presumably:
* there won't be lots of software yet?
* it could get pulled. In which case we have to support the software
ourself. That's probably just about possible
* does it degrade gently? what do we lose if there is no JSON-LD processor?

I think the risks are much smaller than the benefits.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics