[openbiblio-dev] Best practice for name format in BibJSON

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Feb 24 17:35:06 UTC 2012

On 2/24/12 9:04 AM, Mark MacGillivray wrote:

Excellent analysis by Jakob on names. This is an often-garbled area of
metadata.

> Agreed - this is what I was thinking too - to have "name" and also
> "firstname", "lastname" keys where possible, and still also
> "alternate" if someone wishes to provide them.

Yes, although remember that "alternate" may also need "first" "last" and
a simple string. Basically, "alternate" is another type of name, worthy
of structuring.

That said, it may be best to leave alternates for a name record, rather
than putting them in the bibliographic record. The subject of the
alternate name is the person, not the bibliographic data, and it's not
clear to me that many people would include such alternates in citation
data, especially since they would need to be repeated in each citation.

I know that bibjson isn't going so far as to create separate records for
persons, but as soon as you start adding more person information that
becomes a logical step. Most of the "scholarly citation" systems that
I'm aware of do have a separate person information record, then link
from the person record to the citation record. This allows one to create
an extensive personal profile, with CVs and awards and grants, etc.

Essentially, the question becomes: how far to go down this road within
the citation metadata?

Also, I notice that there is an "id:" element in the person name area. I
presume that this could be used for ORCID or researcherID, etc. Will the
type of ID be clear from the text? I don't know how people generally use
these, and if they are full URNs or URIs or not.

kc