[openbiblio-dev] Bibserver and APIs to online resources

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Sat Jan 21 14:19:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am still recovering from the excitement of Marks' presentation of
> Bibserver. It's clearly solid beta and now needs examples and documentation.
> Naomi and I have made two videos which we'll make available soon but I have
> run out of standard vimeo - maybe I will dropbox them and someone else can
> upload? Or is there an OKF vimeo account?

I dont know if there is an OKF one, but you could just set one up
called bibsoup, and put them in that. Then we can link to that account
from our project blog.

> I am wondering how easy it is to link a Bibsoup into an online
> bibliiographic resource - examples are Pubmed, Mendeley, Microsoft Acad
> Search. So that when someone has their pesonal collection they can download
> any given entry (which by itself cannot be copyrighted) and compare or merge
> them. Pubmed has completely Open bibliography - the others have unclear
> database rights but the entries themselves should be OK.

I have done a bit of work on pulling from Pubmed with Gilles, and am
now working on building it into a bibserver in a neater way. Also I
have previously done work building bookmarklets to pull content from
pages into other sites, and Jim has been attempting similar with some
scrapers of various maths resources. We are combining these up too, so
we should be able to pull from various sources. As we do these, we
should make more explanations and videos too, to let other people know
how to build such things. Hopefully you would be interested in doing
so? Dev8D, our next meetup in March, and various other encounters
should present opportunities for doing this.

Mark