[openbiblio-dev] OKFN Humanities Hack, 20th-21st November 2012, Sign up now!

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Wed Oct 3 13:39:43 UTC 2012

Apologies for cross-posting but I just sent this to the Humanities Working
Group list and it may of interest to many of you considering the success of
Bibliohack earlier this year, I hope to see some faces from there at this
event!

---

Dear All,

As part of the DM2E <http://dm2e.eu> project, the Open Knowledge Foundation
in collaboration with Kings College London will be running a Digital
Humanities Hackday between 21st-22nd November in central London

A group from the OKFN will be in force working specifically on textual
annotation and extensions to the open source
TEXTUS<http://textusproject.org/>platform for annotating and collating
digitised public domain texts.

*When*: 21st-22nd November 2012
*Where*: Guys Campus, Hodgkin Building, London, SE1 1UL
*Sign up via the Google
Form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFp1eExmUVMtWG1YUkNZSnFFd05EWlE6MQ>
*
*Add datasets to be used at the
hack<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al6mO9_3Hr2PdFJ2aEFzNTZZMVVDbkJZWXB1YTRkOWc#gid=0>
*

---
*
*
The aim of the hack day is not to produce complete applications but to
experiment with methods and technologies to investigate these data sets so
that at the end we can have an understanding of the types of novel
techniques that are emerging.
We are providing a few open humanities data sets but we welcome any
addition. We are currently collecting data sets
here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al6mO9_3Hr2PdFJ2aEFzNTZZMVVDbkJZWXB1YTRkOWc#gid=0>
.

Possible themes include but are not limited to

*-          Research in textual annotation has been a particular strength
of Digital Humanities. Where are the next frontiers? How can we bring
together insights from other fields and Digital Humanities?*
*-          How do we provide linking and sharing Humanities data that
makes sense of its complex structure, with many internal relationships both
structural and semantic. In particular, distributed Humanities research
data often includes digital material combining objects in multiple media,
and in addition there is diversity of standards for describing the data.*
*-          Visualisation. How do we develop reasonable visualisations that
are practical and help build on overall intuition for the underlying
Humanities data set*
*-          How can we advance the novel Humanities technique of Network
Analysis to describe complex relationships of 'things' in social-historical
systems: people, places, etc.*

With this hack day we seek to from groups of computing and humanities
researchers that will work together to come up with small-scale prototypes
that showcase new and novel ways of working with Humanities data.

As numbers are limited for this hack, please register
here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFp1eExmUVMtWG1YUkNZSnFFd05EWlE6MQ>
.

The event will lead on from the AHRC Digital Transformations Moot at the
Mermaid Conference Centre in London on Monday 19 November 2012 at which the
Open Knowledge Foundation will present some of its work in the humanities.
 Registration for this event is free and those joining the Humanities
Hackfest might also enjoy attending the Moot. Further details can be found
at:
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News-and-Events/Events/Pages/Digital-Transformations-Moot.aspx

--
Sam Leon