[openbiblio-dev] Feedback on my BibJSON record

Sylvain Hellegouarch sylvain.hellegouarch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:37:08 UTC 2013

2013/2/22 Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net>

> It would really be great to have a list of BibJSON terms, and a clear
> statement about the BibJSON format. If they exist, I can't find them. There
> was a discussion about using JSON-LD, but the last thing I can find is a
> blog post saying it is being considered [1]. Looking now the bibJSON.org
> page says:
>
> "JSON-LD example
>
> We would like to use real world examples as far as possible - do you
> require linked data functionality within BibJSON? If so, please contact us
> and we can work through a BibJSON / JSON-LD example with you."
>
> And just below it is:
>
> "There is no fixed schema as yet, but as JSON-LD is supported it is
> possible to reference any vocabulary via a namespace declaration and use it
> with your key/value pairs where necessary."
>
> So I would like to make a call for some clarity in the documentation, and
> for documentation beyond the one page of examples. I hadn't seen that
> JSON-LD had been accepted, and I have to surmise it from "but as JSON-LD is
> supported...." which isn't ideal as documentation. I believe that there are
> terms that are considered accepted terms for bibjson -- a list of them
> should be made available, preferably in a machine-actionable form as well
> as human-readable.
>
> ********
>
> That said, if one needs to cover the library distinctions of title,
> subtitle, and statement of responsibility, it would probably be best not to
> use dc:title at all but to take these from a library vocabulary (e.g.
> rdvocab). However, my preference is to drop the statement of responsibility
> (which doesn't make sense displayed anywhere but as a continuation of
> title, which only library software knows to do) and put title and subtitle
> into dc:title.
>
> DC still doesn't have a clear "date of publication" but other vocabularies
> do. I have no idea if there is one in bibJSON.
>
> kc
>

> [1] http://openbiblio.net/2012/02/**21/json-ld-bibjson/<http://openbiblio.net/2012/02/21/json-ld-bibjson/>

I'll admit the bibjson page is a bit lacking when it comes to describing
what is the minimum required to describe a record and, moreoever, it
mentions JSON-LD but without explaining how this should be used. In the
ened, I purposefully avoided JSON-LD as I had no idea how to use it in this
context.

In regards to DC, it is important to note that I'm trying to follow rules
[1] provided by the BnF [2] which likely apply in France only. Whether I
should follow those rules in order to play nicely with international
datasets is open to debate.

This present thread was merely to determine if I was going completely off
track.

[1]
http://www.bnf.fr/fr/professionnels/formats_catalogage/a.f_dublin_core.html
(French)