[OpenDesign] Open Design Definition @ Fab* @ Future Everything

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Sun Jun 10 21:04:35 BST 2012

Hi everybody,
a quick recap of the last workhsop for the Open Design definition we did
at Fab* @ Future Everything, Manchester (UK).
We had a great discussion, but unfortunately the internet connection
wasn't working, so we could not start to work on the repository with the
participants. The discussion was very good and I've changed a bit the
presentation to include few more replies to some questions raised during
the workshop. Here you can find the presentation:

http://www.slideshare.net/openp2pdesign/open-design-definition-fab-future-everything

One issue emerged from the discussion: we should clarify further that we
are working on a definition now, not on a license!
A definition is not a legal tool like a license, it is a shared document
that tries to define what is Open Design, hopefully including all the
different possible types of Open Design, all the perspectives, the
critical point, and what can be achieved with it and how it can be
improved and further promoted and adopted. It is, basically, the result
of a collaborative discussion, and it is a community standard, not a
legal standard like a license.

About GitHub:
the discussion has started on our repository there, and you can already
see some issues opened (and closed):
https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition

Don't forget to send an e-mail to this list writing your username, so
that we can add you to the organization group on GitHub and we can work
together on the repository!
As you can see, at the moment there are 17 members:
https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup

About Git, here are few more resources about using it:

http://sixrevisions.com/resources/git-tutorials-beginners/
http://designfestival.com/git-a-designers-primer/
http://betterexplained.com/articles/intro-to-distributed-version-control-illustrated/

and more news about using GitHub:

http://fedscoop.com/is-github-governments-next-big-thing/

Br,

Massimo

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/