[Open Design] Open design and it's political dimension

Aitor Méndez aitor at e451.net
Tue Apr 16 07:58:00 UTC 2013

Hi Kat, I'm sure your "young" experience is much better documented and wise than mine! :) Anyway, I'll try to add my scope here.

I agree, could be connections between the two domains and will be good thing to explore them, but I'm not sure about the Benkler creativity issue that you mention is one of them. I'll try to explain it.

As I can see in the open design discussion there are many supporters of the creativity as a goodie and, is true, creativity can be understood as an expression of the emergency phenomenon. I mean emergency as described in complexity science. From this scope, the saturation of human interaction produces emergency as creativity. So, openness, as a device that enables and enhances human interaction, works for creativity growth.

But, in other hand, ¿is creativity cause of social equality and balance equilibrium between power and individual? No, instead, creativity is a consequence of the freedom (of interaction) and not vice versa.

In fact, creativity is a slippery concept that was serving a pioneering form of precarious employment in cultural industries because the meaning of creativity in that context build an artificial line separating creative people and non creative people. We need to understand that just the act of composing a simple sentence encloses a lot of creativity. From this scope all people is creative. So, creativity makes no meaningful difference between people.

Please, feel free to discuss that points. Thank you!

aitor