[Open Design] [OpenDesign] Questions about the Open Design Definition

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Thu Feb 28 15:28:02 UTC 2013

Good points!
Only a couple of quick comments...

Open P2P Design is based on applying open source process to a service
design project, so Open Service Design has been already claimed in 2005 ;)

Many many designers, authors, researchers and schools of design would
reply that design is not only about the "aesthetic" side, even if there
is some design that is only about "aesthetic". So probably this
definition would make things easily, by complicating the discussion on
another side. So again, probably it's all about deciding between design
according to law or design according to designers...

On 2/28/13 4:53 PM, Dr. Peter Troxler wrote:
> When I speak and write about (open) hardware I usually mention, that hardware covers a broad range including such nonrelated things as integrated circuits, home furniture and ship-to-shore container cranes.  All these "things" are results of design processes ... and I've not yet included fashion, or letter types, or games.
> And there are even such things as "organisation design" and "service design"  (which to my knowledge have so far eschewed any "open" aspirations ... so by this answer I claim authorship of "open organisation design" and "open service design" ... leaving it open (!) for the moment if the openness is in design, or in organisation or service, respectively).
> Having said that, I would advocate to have a more focused discussion to start with, maybe around anything tangible (including media of all kind) that does not fall primarily under engineering but under "aesthetic" ... essentially the stuff that's taught at industrial design schools and design academies, the stuff that from an "IP" point of view would fall under "design" (= the visual design of objects that are not purely utilitarian) when we speak about the product (see 4, below).
>
> Because ....

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/