[Open Design & Hardware] Commons Technology Summit in the making

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Tue Jul 16 10:24:07 UTC 2013

Dear all,

First and foremost I'd like to introduce myself to the list, as I have
recently joined as member and co-moderator.

By day I am OKFN community manager for Local Groups and Open Government
Data (which includes a lot of different projects including Open Data
Census, Global Open Data Initiative, LOD2, Apps For Europe etc.). By night
maker/tinkerer wanna-be, disruptive technology proselytizer and budding
3D-printer builder. This is why I suggested adding back the "Hardware" bit
to this wonderful working group here - and to engage in it to connect the
emerging global maker culture with the vibrant OKFN universe. I'll
elaborate more on my thoughts on this in the blog soon.

In the meantime I wanted to switch your attention towards this new idea
from Jonas Öberg (Shuttleworth Foundation - and ex-Creative Commons, Free
Software Foundation Europe vice-pres etc.) on putting together a European
summit for commons technologies:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-labs/2013-July/000966.html

He invites input in this pad:
http://okfnpad.org/ctechsummit

I've added a session on open hardware to address how the open everything
community (including OKFN) could and should support it. Maybe a session on
open design tools could be relevant as well?

-Christian

--

Christian Villum

Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
*Empowering through Open Knowledge
*http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

*Have you registered for OKCon 2013 <http://okcon.org/>?*