[Open Design] types of Fab Labs, question for Peter

Kohtala Cindy cindy.kohtala at aalto.fi
Mon Mar 4 11:21:12 UTC 2013

Hi all (again)

This time I have a question specifically for Peter Troxler but I'll ask it here in case the answer is useful to others.

The question is about one of the surveys described in
Troxler, Peter, Commons-Based Peer-Production of Physical Goods:
Is There Room for a Hybrid Innovation Ecology? (October 8, 2010).
Paper presented at the 3rd Free Culture Research Conference, Berlin, October 8-9, 2010.
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1692617 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1692617

where you talk about how the Fab Labs position their offering
'social-tech'
'green-tech'
'high-tech'
'smart-tech'
(you had 10 Labs answer the survey).

Did you offer these four choices to the Labs in the survey? Were they these four choices only? (and they could only choose one answer?)
(Interesting that 8 of 9 chose 'social-tech'.)

Thanks in advance
Cindy

Cindy Kohtala
Doctoral researcher
NODUS Sustainable Design Research Group
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture
Helsinki, Finland
cindy.kohtala at aalto.fi
+358 (0)50 564 0400