[Open Design] The first draft of the Open Design Definition

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Fri Mar 15 10:22:23 UTC 2013

By the way, I've already added some text in the draft based on this
discussion:
https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/commit/1fb963b93f0dec280121d878de7664b78351063c

Br,
Massimo

On 3/15/13 12:10 PM, Massimo Menichinelli wrote:
> Hi Aymeric,
> thanks for the feedback! :)
>
> Yes, some elements will probably be joined together if not erased from
> the definition. A typical aspects of the Open definitions is that they
> focuses only on the knowledge items, and not on the practice, the
> culture, the tools... so it won't cover everything, I agree on this.
> At the moment they are just placeholders for text or for reminding some
> topics that we can discuss if they should be included and how.
>
> But in any case we should focus a bit on the different kind of design
> that is already using Open Source strategies: we already have graphic
> and font design cases that are open for example, so they are part of
> Design and therefore of Open Design. I think that we don't have to go
> very deep in each field, the definition itself can be forked so there
> maybe some derivative and more deep definitions (for example an Open
> Fashion Design Definition based on the general Open Design Definition).
> There is still a lot of time for developing this.
>
> There are some interesting points in your proposal, thanks! For example
> about RoHS certification and so on, we should discuss if we want to
> include some more values beside Openness. For example: do we agree that
> open design of guns can be called Open Design? Is it only a technical
> definition or does it have some other values like social and
> environmental sustainability?
>
> One more thing about requiring the use of Open Source Software or Open
> Source Hardware for developing an Open Design project. Unfortunately
> there are a lot of technologies and softwares that are used and needed
> by designers (and in FabLabs as well) that are not open source, if we
> require only open source tools there would be very little of real Open
> Design. And it would be like saying that software developed on a Mac
> even if released with GPL is not open source because the tool used are
> not open source. So proably we should focus instead on open standards /
> file formats more than the tools themselves.
>
> What do you think about it?
>
> Br,
>
> Massimo
>
> On 3/8/13 1:37 PM, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
>> Hello Massimo, list,
>>
>> Massimo Menichinelli said :
>>> Hi all,
>>> after re-reading the previous discussions and the existing
>>> definitions we have gathered in the repository, I've developed the
>>> first draft of the Open Design Definition, you can find it here:
>>>
>>> http://design.okfn.org/2013/03/08/the-first-draft-of-the-open-design-definition/
>>>

>> Quick 2cents feedback:
>>
>> The current outline feels a bit all over the place and too complicated.
>> Maybe some elements should be better moved to a "background" text of
>> section, such as the redesigning aspect. In the same way that "software
>> liberation," is a result of the culture that developed around the free
>> software definition, but it is not an element of it.

> [...]

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/