[Open Design] Quick update on the definition

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Wed May 8 09:10:37 UTC 2013

Hi David,
thank you for joining this discussion!

The Open Hardware Definition has been an inspiration for us, but we
decided to work on an Open Design Definition since Hardware cannot fully
comprehend what Design covers. There are overlapping areas, but Hardware
and Design are distinct, especially in people's minds. One of the ideas
behind the definition is to draft it according to designers point of view.
I've been even reusing some parts from the Open Hardware Definition, but
modifying them to the Design context.

The Open Design Definition will also cover immaterial artifacts like
digital graphic design, interaction design, service design... The idea
is that when the artifact needs software or hardware for working (like
in Interaction Design for example), we ask them to be released according
to the Open Source Definition and your Open Hardware Definition in order
to be defined as Open Design.

I've also started a discussion with Alicia Gibb and Catarina Mota to see
how we can further collaborate between the two definitions, so any idea
about this is welcome!

Best regards,

Massimo

On 4/18/13 12:44 AM, David A. Mellis wrote:
> BTW, do you have a sense of the major differences between this and the
> open-source hardware definition (http://www.oshwa.org/definition/)? I
> worked on that one and am curious how this compares.
>

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Massimo Menichinelli
> <massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi <mailto:massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     I've finally had a quick time for working on the definition, there
>     are couple of texts more and I've replied and closed many issues
>     (and opened a new one, but that's a task for me for cleaning the
>     text ;) ).
>
>     You can read the current (unfinished) version of the definition here:
>     https://github.com/OpenDesign-__WorkingGroup/Open-Design-__Definition/blob/master/open.__design_definition/open.design.__definition.md
>     <https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/blob/master/open.design_definition/open.design.definition.md>
>
>     You can see the open issues (and comment on them!) here:
>     https://github.com/OpenDesign-__WorkingGroup/Open-Design-__Definition/issues?state=open
>     <https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/issues?state=open>
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Massimo
>
>     --

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/