[Open Design + Hardware] China local WG?

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Wed Feb 19 22:00:32 UTC 2014

Hi Feng,

Thank you for reaching out, this is a very interesting idea.

Although the Fablab movement in general is highly networked already, I
think what the open design & hardware working group (OD&HWG) can offer is a
think space that ties in with the broader open movement, and this would be
amplified with a Chinese local WG. I would personally be extremely excited
about having a local working group in China and believe we (as a global
community) should support it to the full extent possible. Moreover, this
would be one of the first OD&H local WGs and it would thus have a
pioneering role that could help define new activity areas for the global
WG.
As an example for comparison the OpenScience WG is proliferating at an
impressive speed with local WG's popping up in several places around the
world - setting the agenda for the global activities via local activities.
In other words: Chinese maker culture could take a role as thought leader
and inspire communities around the world.

-Christian

--

Christian Villum
International Community Manager