[Open Design + Hardware] Open Design Definition @ OKFestival 2014

Dr. Peter Troxler trox at fabfolk.com
Sat May 24 23:22:57 UTC 2014

On 24 May 2014, at 18:18, Massimo Menichinelli <massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi> wrote:

>>  Imho, in a real open design situation designers should only provide the methods, but not apply/execute them (facilitation).
>
> Regarding the idea that designers should only facilitate and not really work in open design projects: this is an interesting point that needs further discussion and research (I don't agree at the moment: Open Design should also be for designers! Maybe the problem lays in finding the right motivations for them to participate in Open Design). But regardless of the opinion, both possibilities should be in the definition.

Probably I was not exactly sharp enough in my suggestion.

What I wanted to say is:  given certain methods to facilitate participation in open designing are made available anybody should be allowed/able to lead the process and everybody should be allowed/able to participate in designing.

A situation in which facilitation was reserved for designers or one in which certain designerly tasks were reserved for designers would not correspond to an open participatory situation in my thinking.  But surely I would want designers to take part in such open design settings!