[Open Design + Hardware] Update on REMODEL - and open source hardware biz model panel @ SXSW (with stream - maybe)

Christian Villum cvi at ddc.dk
Fri Mar 10 03:39:41 UTC 2017

Dear list,

Following earlier communications about the REMODEL program (see the archives), I wanted to reach out and share with you some of the progress we have been making since last. First and foremost we have fleshed out some more thoughts on the context of the program and how it relates to current global developments in the open source hardware/open design/open business world. We call this article ”Is future manufacturing open source?”:

http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/news/manufacturing-future-open-source<http://danskdesigncenter.d/>

Moreover we have initiated the first test-run of the program with a Danish drilling bits manufacturer (Thürmer Tools), with whom we are diving in head first and testing out in real-time how to go from closed to open for a new product idea they have. This action-based approach helps us understand better what the structure of the program can look like, and we have already discovered that rather than a linear structure we should aim more towards a modular one, since not all companies have the same need. Within this framework Thürmer is currently testing the first module, which we call ’Product Module’ (working title). More details on this test-run can be found in this new article that we just published:

http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/news/first-remodel-test-run-has-begun-thurmer-tools

Other modules we expect to make are ’Co-creation community building’ (we already have another manufacturing company lined to up help develop and test), ’Legal issues & ownership’, ’Leadership & organisation’, ’Prototyping and supply chains’. We’ll probably need 8-10 modules to cover the full gamut, but all this is still being developed. If anyone have thoughts on this, please share.

Lastly, after discussing open source for manufacturing with quite a lot of non-open businesses already, it became clear that we needed to be able to refer those who are new to open source manufacturing to some resources that would help them understand the concept and see the potential. In other words, give them a baseline and an intro to the topic. This is why we have curated this 30-mins-reading/viewing-pack of existing resources, which outline the field REMODEL operates in:

http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/news/understand-open-source-manufacturing-30-minutes

Comments on all this are welcome. We are paving the road as we drive forward, so any and all input are highly appreciated.

Also, as a sidenote, I am enroute to SXSW in Texas, where we have a session in the official program under the title ’Share or Die: Is future manufacturing open source?’ See http://schedule.sxsw.com/2017/events/PP62507<http://schedule.sxsw.com/2017>. We hope to be able to stream the panel via Instagram, if the wifi is strong enough (on the Danish Design Centre profile: https://www.instagram.com/designcentret/). It’s this coming Saturday, March 11 @ 5.00 PM CST (Austin, Texas). There will likely be a recording available for later viewing, in case anyone’s interested. The panel features Benjamin Tinqc from OuiShare, Bram Geenen from Wevolver and myself. Moderation by my colleague in Danish Design Centre, Runa Sabroe.

Venlige hilsner / Kind regards

Christian Villum
Program Director / Programleder

Cell: +45 20 87 71 53