[Open Design + Hardware] Happy New Year and new article

Kohtala Cindy cindy.kohtala at aalto.fi
Thu Jan 2 11:09:36 UTC 2020

Hi all

wishing you a happy 2020!
we have a new article out that may interest some of you, open access, Design Studies.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2019.11.008
A taxonomy of users’ active design engagement in the 21st century
Abstract:
People not only purchase and use products and services, but creatively appropriate, hack, redesign and even innovate in them. Typologies of active use have emerged in various disciplines, remaining piecemeal even if complementary. Together they produce a blurry depiction of active design engagement, despite active use being pivotal to many emerging design approaches. To remedy this, we synthesize a taxonomy of different aspects of active use and design engagement. Use as-is, active use, locally new designs and globally new innovations mark different intensities of engagement. These can concern the material form of design, new uses, new meanings, adjustment to local settings, or the collective endeavours to shape communities and organizations, ideologies and imaginaries, and global platforms that facilitate active use.

we cite some of the researchers on this list too - so thanks for your work!

all the best
Cindy

Dr Cindy Kohtala
Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Design
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture  |  Espoo, Finland
cindy.kohtala at aalto.fi