[Openglam_members] Open Collections call

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Wed Nov 26 09:33:24 UTC 2014

Enjoyed the discussion - lots to take on board. One thing I'm picking up
is that there is a real need to surface open collections and related
case studies beyond Wikicommons.

I'll note this as +1 for the OpenGLAM open collections area. I'll share
my Omeka progress with you soon.

Thanks

Marieke

On 25/11/2014 20:02, Sarah Stierch wrote:
> Gah..just realizing the first GLAMcamp was in 2011. So not quite five
> years yet.
>
> I still want to do a camp though :)
>
> -Sar
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Sarah Stierch
> <sarah.stierch at gmail.com <mailto:sarah.stierch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes! Just a basic non-formal survey shows this too on my end - I
>     don't get buy-in from Executive Directors, board members (here in
>     the US non-profits are basically ran by the board) and
>     tough-to-persuade curators/archivists/etc without formal
>     evaluations. And yes, it's not an open collection list - we just
>     need to think of how we can persuade people to do it and make it
>     easy for them.. .
>
>     I'll park it in the parking lot for something to work on in the
>     future. GLAMcamp would celebrate the 5th anniversary of the first
>     GLAMcamp in NYC. I'd love to have it in the USA (despite how much
>     I love visiting ya'll in Europe) as the USA desperately needs more
>     events and programs, and it would bring together the original crew
>     and a mix of newish folks (like you) to talk, hack, celebrate and
>     share amongst ourselves and the public. The first GLAMcamp changed
>     my life :)
>
>     I need to start brainstorming that... it would be in late spring
>     early summer.
>
>     -Sarah
>

>     On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Dorota Laura Kawe;cka
>     <laura.cof at gmail.com <mailto:laura.cof at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I would love to get (or give) a case study toolbox! Our
>         research shows (do I already sound like an American
>         scientist?) that glams really crave for case studies more than
>         for manuals. But this is of course something else than open
>         collections list (I think).
>         GLAMcamp sounds great!
>
>         D.

>         <sarah.stierch at gmail.com <mailto:sarah.stierch at gmail.com>>:
>
>             Thank you Dorota for the notes! I really appreciate that.
>             I'll take a look at them.
>
>             I'm a case study fanatic. As one of the few Wikimedians
>             (or, American Wikimedians) who actually writes them. I
>             have been lucky to use the OpenGLAM blog as a platform to
>             share them, specifically the Walters Art Museum case
>             study. I'm excited to say I'm working on updating it with
>             Walters staff, so we can explore things further.[1]
>
>             Those of us involved in the GLAM-Wiki community have done
>             our best to make the GLAM-Wiki portal somewhat digestible
>             for non-Wiki people, but it's challenging given the
>             limitations in the platform for design. You can see the
>             case studies developed (even though the majority aren't
>             complete or "proper" case studies) here:
>
>             https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Case_studies
>
>             I desperately want to see more case studies and find ways
>             to surface this information and weed out the "faux case
>             studies" and incomplete efforts. I wish there was a case
>             study toolbox, where we could provide institutions and
> [...]

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
@mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog