[Openglam_members] Open Collections page - was Re: Doodle for next call

Adam Green adam.green at publicdomainreview.org
Thu Feb 26 16:40:05 UTC 2015

Hi Marieke,

This looks wonderful! Really coming together nicely. A few ideas I had:

*1) Highlights / Examples *- I was wondering if it might be good to offer
some kind of "highlights from the collection". One way this could work
would be to link, where available, to works that have been featured on *The
Public Domain Review, *e.g. National Library of Medicice:
http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/?source=national-library-of-medicine/
, or Rijksmuseum:
http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/?source=rijksmuseum/  This could
be just a simple link at the bottom if the page, or something more advanced
pulling in actual images to a gallery.

I'd definitely also like to link back to the institution's Open Collections
page from their relevant PDR pages (or indeed somehow merge the two?)

*2) Sort or group by license* - I think it would also definitely be good to
sort by license (i.e. PD or CC), this would help also to distinguish
between these two different kinds of "opening up", not just simply lumping
it together as all just "open".

*3) More concrete categorisation* - It might also be interesting to enable
exploration by theme beyond the just tags page, e.g. some more concrete
categorisation, with perhaps its own special page to act as a portal -
"Science and Medicine", "Medieval Manuscripts", "Sound", etc.

 Any other ideas for how you think the PDR might be able to help please let
me know!

All the best,

Adam.

--