[Openglam_members] OpenGLAM working group (+ job at Europeana)

Joris Pekel jpekel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 07:56:10 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing great.
We haven't really spoken for a while which is too bad, but I am sure we all
have been active doing important stuff :). The reason I am contacting you
again is because I'd like to discuss the future of the OpenGLAM working
group with you. The group has been largely dormant for the past year and
even though many OpenGLAM activities have been set up and organised, it has
been without this particular group.

Direct reason for contacting you is because from the 1st of April I will be
leaving Europeana to travel the world for a bit. I expect to be gone for
about a year, but who knows. I was therefore wondering what you as some of
the founding members think we should do with the group? I am also asking
this because the OKFN no longer has GLAM as a priority. Lieke was able to
do some (paid) work on GLAM stuff last year but that is now over and I
don't think there are any other GLAM related projects running at the moment
(correct me if I'm wrong). The last blogpost on OpenGLAM.org is from over a
year ago.

At the same time there is a mailing list with a couple of hundred people
interested in OpenGLAM and a twitter account with nearly 5000 followers.
And as said before a lot of people talk about OpenGLAM stuff, but just not
on the OpenGLAM.org channels.

So my questions basically are:

- Do you think it is still worth it to keep the OpenGLAM working group, if
so, how should it go forward?
- Does it make sense to keep the working group within the OKFN? Is there an
organisation where it would better sit, or is it not really a relevant
question as the website is currently hosted there and it is fine like that?

Looking forward hearing your thoughts.
And also, my job at Europeana is now available and I think you guys fit the
description quite nicely. If you are interested in it have a look at:
http://pro.europeana.eu/job/collections-editor. You can of course contact
me if you have questions about the job.

Cheers,

Joris