[Openglam_members] [openglam_members] Update on OpenGLAM and this list

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Tue Aug 27 14:27:56 UTC 2019

Dear all,

In this email I share with you another update on the OpenGLAM initiative,
as well as an update on this former OpenGLAM working group list.

As we announced last year
<https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/openglam_members/2018-December/000456.html>,
we have been making some progress regarding revitalizing the OpenGLAM
initiative. As part of those efforts, we’re transferring and moving the
OpenGLAM.org website, which has been hosted by the Open Knowledge
Foundation, to Creative Commons. Centrum Cyfrowe has kindly agreed to put
the design and development efforts to create a new website. The Wikimedia
Foundation will steward the OpenGLAM public mailing list.

For those of you who have been following the log of the community calls
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y-ooRioOKMgLJo5s9IB-kDmmq5ZXUsiAPGRBzMMJ6KM/edit#heading=h.tv36xpng8ehk>
and the OpenGLAM public mailing list, you might be aware that the Wikimedia
Foundation will be supporting the work around revising and publishing the
OpenGLAM Principles/Declaration in the coming twelve-month period (through
June 2020).

Wikimedia’s support makes possible things like project management and
support for the OpenGLAM community in the rewrite and release of the
OpenGLAM Principles/Declaration; revamping the OpenGLAM website & defining
a strategy for current communication channels; and allocating some travel
funds for people to promote and engage the sector around the Declaration.

It’s also good to note that this is part of a one-year grant to support
this work, but it’s up to the current community behind the initiative to
seek other ways to support any ongoing efforts after June 2020. We hope
that this alliance of different organizations and people will help to make
the initiative more sustainable and diverse.

In the meantime, we want to encourage you to join the OpenGLAM public
mailing list if you aren’t there already. That’s the best way to get
updates on what’s happening for the initiative. Remember that there are
also other avenues to showcase or tell people about your work, such as
the @OpenGLAM
twitter account <http://twitter.com/openglam> (see more information here
<https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-knowledge/are-you-working-in-the-openglam-arena-tweet-about-it-461b8b859c42>
on how to participate there) and the Open GLAM Medium Publication
<https://medium.com/open-glam>. All of these are spaces that are open to
participation. Please contact Scann at scannopolis [at] gmail.com if you’re
interested in contribute to any of these efforts.

We also want to let you know that, since our working group is no longer
active, we will close this list on 30 September 2019. We want to make this
process as frictionless as possible, so if you have any comments,
criticism, feedback or suggestions, please let us know.

It has been wonderful to work with you all these years, and we hope that
the Open GLAM community will continue to grow in the upcoming years.

Best regards,

Lieke Ploeger.

--
Lieke Ploeger