[opensourcepharma] a open source cure for Ebola?

Bernard Munos bhmunos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:58:50 UTC 2014

There are several publications in PLoS and Science TM suggesting that at
least half a dozen approved drugs have some degree of efficacy against
Ebola (here
<http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0060579&representation=PDF>
and here
<http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/5/190/190ra79.abstract?sid=ecf907f6-a4ae-4b37-a29d-474963a53068>
and here
<http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0060579>).
However, they have never been tested in humans (hard to find patients
outside epidemics). By law, FDA may not disclose which drugs have been
submitted for approval. However, this is not a problem because any
application has to rely on human trials that must be registered on
clinicaltrials.gov. In this case, a quick search
<http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results/displayOpt?flds=a&flds=b&flds=f&flds=c&submit_fld_opt=on&cond=Ebola&show_flds=Y>
shows 9 trials -- 5 phase 1 vaccine trials sponsored by NIH; 4 phase 1 drug
trials sponsored by Sarepta, Tekmira, and NIH. No human trials on
repurposed dugs yet, although that could change, with the situation. Since
no phase 2 and 3 trials have been registered, no Ebola drug could have been
submitted for approval in the US.

Sending unapproved drugs to Africa is fraught with ethical concerns about
using Africans as guinea pigs. US was correct to treat its own citizens
first to avoid that charge. My guess, however, is that it might respond
favorably if it were to receive a request from African government(s) for
experimental treatments. These governments can also offer repurposed drugs
to their patients, if they wish, since they are generic, inexpensive and
widely available.

The positive development in all that is that the drug developed by Mapp
Biopharmaceutical is a monoclonal antibody produced in genetically-modified
tobacco plants. This is a new technique that can produce kilo quantities
rather cheaply, as opposed to the very expensive gram quantities produced
by traditional cell culture. So this Ebola disaster might end up validating
a new technique that will upend the economics of monoclonals, by far the
most expensive drugs today. The impact on biosimilars, oncology,
inflammation, etc, could be huge.

Follow me on Forbes <http://blogs.forbes.com/bernardmunos/> and Fastercures
<http://fastercures.tumblr.com/post/62722481036/give-me-your-innovators-yearning-to-breathe-free#!>