[opensourcepharma] a open source cure for Ebola?

Els Torreele els.torreele at opensocietyfoundations.org
Wed Aug 6 22:53:47 UTC 2014

I like that idea – let’s launch a crowdsourcing initiative to gather (and share) all knowledge/data of what is out there already.
Preference is of course to look for data of already approved drugs that may have shown activity against ebola or related viruses.
But let’s also collect info from ongoing or “aborted” drug development programmes, eg:

http://online.barrons.com/news/articles/SB50001424053111904329504580072041992787302
Sarepta Ready to Provide Ebola Drug if Needed
“Two years ago, the Department of Defense decided to continue funding the development of Sarepta's drug for Marburg, another deadly tropical virus similar to Ebola, while funding Tekmira's drug for Ebola. At the time, Sarepta said the government decision to end funding for its ebola drug was based on budgetary considerations and not the effectiveness of its drug.”

Once all the data are available and shared openly, it may become easier to see which are the more promising avenues, and what would be next steps to pursue

Els