[opensourcepharma] a open source cure for Ebola?

Els Torreele els.torreele at opensocietyfoundations.org
Thu Aug 7 16:10:47 UTC 2014

It’s also clear that we’re not the only ones thinking about this, and research efforts are mounting that look at possible new treatments, even if most of it seems stuck in the more “traditional” R&D way.

So if there’s something for us to add, it is to promote and emphasize the possible added value of doing this in an Open Source way, and how it might speed up the delivery of a desperately needed treatment by pooling intelligence and creativity, sharing all data/knowledge and crowsourcing ideas and expertise and research infrastructure. We don’t have much to contribute on the science, but what we want to put forward is the possible added value of the “alternative model” in terms of process & principles.

Here’s another example, a recent one, in which this was done successfully:

From the Royal Society 'Science as an Open Enterprise': 1.3 The power of intelligently open data
https://royalsociety.org/~/media/Royal_Society_Content/policy/projects/sape/2012-06-20-SAOE.pdf

‘The benefits of intelligently open data were powerfully illustrated by events following an outbreak of a severe gastro-intestinal infection in Hamburg in Germany in May 2011. This spread through several European countries and the US, affecting about 4000 people and resulting in over 50 deaths.
All tested positive for an unusual and little-known Shiga-toxin–producing E. coli bacterium. The strain was initially analysed by scientists at BGI-Shenzhen in China, working together with those in Hamburg, and three days later a draft genome was released under an open data licence.
This generated interest from bioinformaticians on four continents. 24 hours after the release of the genome it had been assembled.
Within a week two dozen reports had been filed on an open-source site dedicated to the analysis of the
strain. These analyses provided crucial information about the strain’s virulence and resistance genes – how it spreads and which antibiotics are effective against it. They produced results in time to help contain the outbreak. By July 2011, scientists published papers based on this work. By opening up their early sequencing results to international collaboration, researchers in Hamburg produced results that were quickly tested by a wide range of experts, used to produce new knowledge and ultimately to control a public health emergency.'
Within two months, sorted.