[opensourcepharma] Jonas Salk's birthday

Matthew Todd mattoddchem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:06:43 UTC 2014

This Salk example is interesting. My view is that we need to be careful
with it. I would agree that this medicine reached the market without a
patent, and that we can use this as an example of a public good that arose
without patent protection - I often mention it in talks. But I also wonder
about these things:

1) Was this really an open source project (though it was crowdfunded,
interestingly)? I would imagine very few people had access to the
information needed to reproduce it or even participate in it, and I imagine
the research was quite secretive not least because of technological
limitations on data sharing.

2) As I understand it, the various players in the project, including Salk
himself, had looked into patenting it and had decided against it but the
reasons for these moves are still unclear:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/history_of_innovation/2014/04/the_real_reasons_jonas_salk_didn_t_patent_the_polio_vaccine.html

3) There has been lots of discussion about the down-playing of other people
who contributed to the science, such as Sabin

http://www.technologyreview.com/review/404390/the-myth-of-jonas-salk/

So when I talk about this I sometimes mention Salk's famous "Would you
patent the sun?" question, but then focus away from Salk individually and
more towards this dry fact: a patentless therapeutic was successfully
developed. If anyone knows more about this, please chime in since I think
there is a precedent here that is useful to the idea of OSP provided we
don't lay claim to too much.

Best,

Mat

On 1 November 2014 15:27, Jaykumar Menon, Prof. <jaykumar.menon at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

>  As observed in a great facebook post from Samir.

> [image:
> https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-1/e2/c8.0.50.50/p50x50/10314532_1443948072532860_6742023688249427204_n.jpg?oh=8c3cb9cedb25dfd9eb7ccdb299909ab5&oe=54D79E58&__gda__=1424459174_af1a41e304df76c67c30673e26ef6fa7]
> <https://www.facebook.com/samir.brahmachari.9?fref=nf>
>  Samir Brahmachari <https://www.facebook.com/samir.brahmachari.9?fref=nf>
>
> October 28 at 8:04am
> <https://www.facebook.com/samir.brahmachari.9/posts/1499894946938172> ·
>
> Today is Birthday of Jonas Salk who could have made 7b$ if he would have
> patented the discovery of Polio Vaccine.  India is free of Polio today
> thanks to Jonas Salk and the power of open source.
>
> Like <https://www.facebook.com/samir.brahmachari.9/posts/1499894946938172>
> Like <https://www.facebook.com/samir.brahmachari.9/posts/1499894946938172>
>  ·  · Share
> <https://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s=22&appid=25554907596&p%5B0%5D=100007530437565&p%5B1%5D=1499894946938172&share_source_type=unknown>
>

> Jaykumar Menon, J.D., M.I.A.
>
> Professor of Practice
>
> McGill University Institute for the Study of International Development
>
> [image: McGill ISID logo small]
>
> Peterson Hall, Room 128
>
> 3460 McTavish Street
>
> Montreal, Quebec H3A 0E6
>

> Research Fellow
>
> Centre for International Sustainable Development Law
>

> Tel: (514) 398-3507
>
> Mobile : (917) 302-0722
>
> Fax:  (514) 398-8432
>
> Email:  jaykumar.menon at mcgill.ca
>
>  Skype:  jmenon1

MATTHEW TODD | Associate Professor
School of Chemistry | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 519, F11 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 2180  | F +61 2 9351 3329  | M +61 415 274104
E matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au | W
http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/research/todd.html | W
http://opensourcemalaria.org/

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.