[opensourcepharma] Beyond Heroism And Denial: How To Fortify Our Response To Ebola

SHERWOOD NEISS sherwood at theccagroup.com
Sat Oct 18 12:55:01 UTC 2014

Morning …

I’d argue that there’s donation fatigue over crowdfunding fatigue.  It is hard for people to “give” to something where they feel their money might not be worth something but if they think their money is "an investment" it changes everything because then they have a vested interest in the success of the idea (more so than a donation because you are giving your money away and not expecting anything in return).

Turn the model around and I bet there can be more engagement.  Sharing knowledge (crowdsourcing) is much different than sharing money(crowdfunding). What your desired outcome is (art, product, business) will determine the route you should take. If you are looking for donations aim for a SMALL amount of money (which will do nothing for Ebola). If you are looking to pre-sell a product (not applicable really to Ebola as of now), aim for an achievable goal that you will surpass with orders that further engage others to buy, if you are looking to fund a company (make sure you have a great team with a sellable vision) and aim for a large amount that investors believe will be sufficient to make a dent in your vision, report milestone achievements, and allow you to come back for further funding.

Crowdfunding has a lot of components to it.  It is important these people understand each type of crowdfunding serves different purposes.  I believe Ebola is best served by a FUND for which investor can both lend or invest in the fund.  The fund managers/investment team (made up of a team much like the attendees at the Rockefeller event) will have to review proposals and determine who gets what.  Investors will go for this model because there are experts doing the work they can’t.  At least that’s my thought.

Now back to my coffee …

And just for fun … here’s a picture of the Fall colors from Connecticut.

Cheers,
Woodie

As co-founders of the Crowdfund Investing movement, CCA uses its unique perspective and methodology to help professional investors and institutions (local, state, national governments and NGO's) build crowdfunding ecosystems to support innovation, strengthen businesses and create thousands of new jobs.

Sherwood Neiss, Principal
Crowdfund Capital Advisors, LLC
Miami . San Francisco . New York . Washington D.C. . Hong Kong . Dubai

Email: sherwood at TheCCAGroup.com
Twitter: @woodien
Web: www.CrowdfundCapitalAdvisors.com
Office: (877) 427-2350 x701
Cell:     (202) 247-7182

Latest Contributions:
Venture Beat:
Investments in crowdfunding platforms have already doubled this year
New bill could finally fix crowdfunding - if the sausage stuffers don’t get to it
The New York Times thinks only the rich should profit from crowdfunding
It Might Cost You $39,000 to Crowdfund $100,000 - A Strategy Forward for Entrepreneurs
Crowdfunding report signals increased revenue, jobs, and deal flow
How to save crowdfunding before it’s dead on arrival

Interesting Links:
One of Top Ten Most Influential People in Crowdfunding
Co-author of the World Bank Report  Crowdfunding's Potential for the Developing world
Co-author of Crowdfund Investing for Dummies Available at Amazon & Barnes & Noble
The Feature Story on Crowdfund Capital Advisors in Entrepreneur Magazine
Co-creator of Success with Crowdfunding