[wdmmg-dev] OpenSpending Process (senger at rehfisch.de)

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Apr 21 15:40:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Carsten Senger <senger at rehfisch.de> wrote:
>>> We want to encourage contributors to write a custom loader where necessary.
>>> It's the alternative to "Transform to OpenSpending Format2 for the "Custom
>>> Loader" process.
>>
>> Hm, I disagree: I feel it would be much better for us to converge to
>> using custom loaders as little as possible (and we're almost there
>> already). Keeping the loaders up to date is increasingly a burden on
>> our development and I'd like to get rid of the simpler ones in favor
>> of a set of mapping descriptions. What do you think?
>
> I'm a big +1 with Friedrich here. I actually think even our own
> loaders should switch to producing our 'OpenSpending data' format and
> we then load that in a standard way (the great benefit with this is we
> now have a nice 'standalone' version of the data to redistribute to
> others, to register on ckan.net etc).

Paddling back a bit: I think there will always be data which we'll
have to use some violence for in order to squeeze it in. As an
example, IATI has schemes of classification for which any number of
values can be specified per entry. Maybe we'll one day have this as a
requirement but for the moment its clearly something we would hack in
in a specific loader.

- Friedrich