[openspending-dev] Satellite sites - wordpress option (and the primary option!)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Apr 4 19:54:43 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Having just created the satellite-template repo (see other thread) I
got to wondering why we don't focus our instructions for creating
"satellite sites" on e.g. wordpress rather than the gh-pages model.

Wordpress has significant advantages:

* Much more widely used
* Easier to set up (installing jekyll is a serious pain, gh-pages
deployment is non-obvious)
* Much easier to add additional content
* Easier to theme ...

To start with all this would require is instructions on creating the
relevant visualizations and embedding. (This would have an additional
benefit of providing general instructions for any site, drupal, plain
html etc)

Later if we wanted to get fancy we could create a wordpress plugin.

What do people think? (Note this does not mean getting rid of the
gh-pages option but it would mean creating wordpress instructions [1]
and giving them equal or higher priority in our instructions)

[1]: I've created an issue for wordpress instructions for satellite
sites here https://github.com/openspending/thingstodo/issues/10

Rufus