[openspending-dev] Improvement of offenerhaushalt.at

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Apr 18 15:33:32 UTC 2013

Hi Bernhard,

I really like the tasks you've drawn up for the offenerhaushalt.at, it's a
fairly cool list. I'm also happy to hear that you're pushing this forward
and I'm sure you'll find great ways of collaborating with the OpenSpending
team to extend the software.

I don't want to comment on the multiple instance/many instances thing.
Still, looking at the task list, I would really urge you to implement most
of the items (i.e. all of (2)) outside of the main OpenSpending software.
Implementing this into the core will be slower, more expensive and
architecturally less clean than doing it on top of the API, and as far as I
can judge from the descriptions these are all readily supported by the
programming interface as is.

What I would do is either implement most of these in JavaScript directly in
the user's browser, or in a secondary app using the OS API (which you could
render out into static HTML - see https://github.com/nprapps/app-template).
This latter option is the one I'm planning for the next revision of
OffenerHaushalt, should I ever find time to work on it :/. You could still
run your own instance of OpenSpending core, e.g. at
data.offenerhaushalt.at-- thats how Where Does My Money Go worked a
few years ago.

Having a secondary application to do more specific business logic would
also allow you to think about authorisation more flexibly for front-end
stuff, although I wonder whether -- if you provide more information to the
governments than to the citizens - the label "offenerhaushalt" is really
all that adequate. It seems like a fairly conservative approach. I think
budget transparency projects should really negotiate towards equal access
to information, especially if the government is the customer - otherwise
it's just good old eGov.

Best regards,

 - Friedrich

p.s. to be clear: I'm not part of the OpenSpending team any more, this is
just my personal two cents.