[openspending-dev] Contributing to OpenSpending

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Wed Jan 9 21:36:42 UTC 2013

This is really important (and cool).

I agree with you, Rufus. Maybe focusing on the satellite sites as an entry
into OpenSpending is a good idea, but I see a problem.

Improving these sites is hard. They tend to be "close-ended". For example,
what's missing in wheredoesmymoneygo.org? This might be a communication
problem, but I don't see much more to add to it.

One solution might be building a generalized template app. It could have a
bunch of jekyll templates for each of the widgets, configurable. This is
easier to contribute for. It might help solving another problem: most of
the satellite sites came from the same codebase, but it's hard to share
improvements between them.

I started thinking about how to do it with Friedrich a few monhs ago, but
there's still much to do.

Cheers,
Vítor.