[openspending-dev] Development process

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Tue Mar 12 21:12:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

Leaving the modularisation discussion on ice for the time being I next
want to turn to work flow / development process.

Since we're doing a rolling release (continuous integration) I think we
should figure out a work flow for how code ends up being deployed.

Note that we _don't_ have to figure out a new one. It would suffice to
document the current one. I propose we try to answer three major
questions below. I've put some "sub-questions" under each of them but I
don't try to answer any. The reason for it is that I don't want to barge
in on the current work flow, just hear how we're all doing it and try to
find a common ground -- and document it).

1. What do I do if I want to contribute code?

* From what branch do I base my development?
* How's the git workflow (merge vs. rebase)?
* How to I submit my patch?
* What do I do if the dev team does nothing with my patch?

2. What does the dev team do with contributions?

* How's the patch reviewed?
* How's the patch tested?
* How's the patch merged?
* How's the patch deployed?

3. How can everybody be updated on the focus of OpenSpending?

* What tools do we use for communications?
* How do we decide on our roadmap?
* Should we have regular dev meetings?
* Should we try to do regular dev blog posts (e.g. based on the dev
meetings)?

I'd very much be interested in hearing your thoughts on the work flow.
Is there anything else you'd like to add?

/Tryggvi