[openspending-dev] Launching OS for Oakland, Calif.

Adam Stiles adam.d.stiles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 23:44:40 UTC 2013

Hello,

So I've forked the Cameroon site, and my first goal is to create a page
with more or less the same features as seen here:
http://cameroon.openspending.org/en/council.html?name=tignere#/~/total--2009-

In particular: Visual, Data Table, and Disqus comments. A requirement is
that each level of visualization has a unique URL (for comments unique to
that particular view). One difference: I'd like to see the treemap visual
(or both bubble and tree, but first treemap).

Because Cameroon doesn't use treemap, I went to the Slovakia repo and
followed instructions here "Embedding this on your own page":
https://github.com/openspending/slovakia.openspending.org#embedding-this-on-your-own-page

I attempted to make that work here --
http://mostlocal.org/en/OaklandExpend11-12.html -- but the visual doesn't
load. Where it says "The treetable visualization in this site just needs
what's contained in this
file<https://github.com/openspending/slovakia.openspending.org/blob/gh-pages/slovakia.openspending.org/blob/gh-pages/municipality/index.html>."
seems like there's more required than "just" that.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? My repo is here:
https://github.com/adstiles/cameroon.openspending.org

Also, is there documentation (or can someone answer)?

- Where do I put my data? In the /data folder? What format (csv, json)?

- How do I make each level (click) on the visual generate a unique URL (or
whatever is required to have comments specific to each level of the visual)?

Thanks very much for your help!

Adam

Adam Stiles
510.280.4862