[openspending-dev] Development process

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Sat Mar 23 14:11:48 UTC 2013

On fös 22.mar 2013 02:29, Nigel Babu wrote:
> Timezones are harder
> to account for on weekends since it'll be at an awkward time for at least
> someone and will kill their weekend :)

Alright. Weekends are probably not the best time, although I'd like more
devs to be able to attend than the core devs -- open meetings for everybody.

I don't know what would be the best time. What about 14 UTC on the first
Thursday of each month (I'm basing the time on Europe but trying to
account for Brazil and India)?

>  It would be nice to
> note that "git rebase" is *never* a good idea once a branch has been pushed
> to github.

What do you mean?

> I've often
> found that speaking makes a meeting faster than using IRC. So, if we can
> make that a voice call instead, that'd be nice.

The reason I propose IRC is I don't like voice calls because they can
neither be archived (easily) nor searched. Using IRC (and a logging bot)
allows us to focus on the discussion instead of writing meeting notes.
We can even set up rules like when someone decides to do something
he/she writes out a line starting with: "TODO: " (easily searchable) or
some other rules. I also like when discussing technical things to have
them written out rather than spoken out (we pronounce technical words
differently). It avoids misunderstanding.

Plus, try to drop a link to an awesome gif into a voice call ;-)

I don't mind the meeting being a bit slower since I feel these benefits
outweigh speed.

/Tryggvi