[openspending-dev] Raw fact/dimension download

Stefan Urbanek stefan.urbanek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 13:15:27 UTC 2013

Tryggvi,

On 24.3.2013, at 13:34, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:

> On fös 22.mar 2013 09:51, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>> Is there a way how can I get raw fact/dimension tables in CSV from openspending.org, not just denormalized dataset?
>
> Hi Stefan :-)
>
> I don't think we have that option available, sorry. We're focused on
> understanding the data so it doesn't make sense to expose our OLAP cube.
>
> I don't think exposing the tables is going to be on our agenda. Is this
> a feature you require?

I wanted to convert it to star schema(s) for Cubes[1], including OS metadata to Cubes logical model conversion (which is trivial, except for additional information for dimension hierarchies). I guess I can normalize it back, but wanted to avoid that and I also wanted to have dimension values that are not currently referenced by facts.

[1] http://cubes.databrewery.org

Speaking about "focused on understanding the data": availability of dimensions can help in master data development and therefore more kinds of analysis.

Stefan

Twitter: @Stiivi
Home: http://stiivi.com
Brewery: http://databrewery.org