[openspending-dev] The Front Fell Off

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Fri Apr 11 15:54:28 UTC 2014

Hey Rufus,

thanks for getting back to me.

On 11 Apr 2014, at 17:10, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> I wonder if we should get a diagnosis of the issue that we have right now before doing a move (which is pretty cumbersome).

I’m sorry for my rash proposal to move the machine, it would obviously be good to further diagnose the problem and to see what leads to the increased number of timeouts. At the same time, I’m not aware of any massive changes in the way that aggregation works, so it’s reasonable to conclude that the issue is resulting from growing dataset numbers and the resources available.

> More substantively, we probably need to think of a plan medium-term for:
>
> A. Finding a way to have infrastructure donated or paid for

Fully agreed, but it would be good if we could separate this from the immediate issue of request timeouts. Otherwise, OKFN ends up in a place where you’re holding the users hostage in order to force them to contribute to an as-yet-unwritten agreement on cost sharing.

> B. Establishing a proper mini devops teams to oversee and maintain the services (it would be great to have enough folks here that we could have someone "on-duty" at a given time)

I believe that’s a function of A, since on-duty doesn’t mean anything without some sort of payment.

- Friedrich