[openspending-dev] Storing Geodata on Openspending - is this even a good idea?

Jorge Cardoso Leitão jorgecarleitao at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 17:10:44 UTC 2014

Hi Michael

I've implemented a map using contracts data and geo data from PT official
sources (using d3.js/geo.d3.js) (not live yet, on a local branch). The
procedure works nicely with minor details:

1. it is not always the case that there is a correct mapping between geo
data and data in the contracts. Some manual mapping between them may be
required (e.g. a substitution rule);

2. Some regions appear/disappear with geographic reforms; it is not clear
how to handle such cases;

3. the highest level of detail (admin A3 if I remember correctly) is too
much detailed to be shown at once. Showing when zooming is recommended to
my experience.

Cheers,
Jorge