[openspending-dev] Dimensions editor is broken

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Apr 19 08:02:27 UTC 2015

On 19 April 2015 at 00:08, Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich at pudo.org> wrote:

> Ok, just to be clear: I wasn't referring to some abstract sort of
> brokenness of the dimensions editor, but to two concrete bugs in the loader
> that have surfaced wrt the LHM dataset, one of which appears to break
> schema integrity of the underlying database.

Understood. I had also encountered real bugs and not just UX bugs. Can you
open an issue detailing the problem and especially the schema issues. Also,
as always, any patches are welcome and would get deployed.

> I understand your explanation. If the OpenSpending platform as it
> currently operates is no longer maintained, would it make sense to place a
> banner somewhere on the site that indicates this; as well as possibly
> disabling the data manager entirely? I get two or three people a month who
> want to contribute to Offener Haushalt, and I'd rather be upfront if that
> isn't an option any more.

Its a tough one as its clear that people are successfully uploading files -
if you track the uploads about one dataset is added every day or so - and
we don't want to discourage those people. The situation has not really
changed much over the last 18m. That said, having some banner indicating
that active work is going on to create a new ETL setup could be useful -
though it would be more useful when actually in alpha.

Rufus

- Friedrich

--

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock