[openspending-dev] Dev meeting: January 8, 2015

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed Jan 7 11:20:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As I've previously mentioned we will have our monthly developer meeting
tomorrow, January 8 (postponed from January 1). As before the meeting
will take place on our IRC channel: #openspending on Freenode.

You can join via web interface if you want:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openspending

We'll also continue with our set up of two separate meetings since our
community stretches around the globe.

* First meeting will be at 12pm (noon) UTC/GMT+0
    * Convert to your timezone:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?year=2015&month=1&day=8&hour=12&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
* Second meeting will be at 11pm UTC/GMT+0
    * Convert to your
timezonehttp://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?year=2015&month=1&day=8&hour=23&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

The topic for this developer meeting is going to be quite big and quite
"bike-sheddable" (controversial) and will revolve around a single decision:

* Do we move to the proposed micro-service architecture?

The proposed micro-service architecture is here:
https://github.com/openspending/osep/blob/gh-pages/01-approach-and-architecture-of-openspending.md

You can read up on what a micro-service architecture is here:
http://martinfowler.com/articles/microservices.html

And a comparison of micro-service vs monolithic (albeit on a
micro-service proponent website but they still do monolithic a good
service but feel free to search online for more info):
http://microservices.io/patterns/microservices.html and
http://microservices.io/patterns/monolithic.html

To explore and to be able to decide we will probably have to explore and
think/discuss the proposed architecture.

It's going to be an exciting developer meeting for the future of
OpenSpending tomorrow.

/Tryggvi