[wdmmg-discuss] Aggregated vs per-capita statistics

Donovan Hide donovanhide at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:48:59 UTC 2010

Hi Alastair,

I think you may have encountered the "Average of Children" problem.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/olap.111/b28124/aggregate.htm

The interesting point with this dataset is that it is regional, and
therefore the regional dimension must have an effect on the population,
which would affect this calculation! You really are hitting the sorts of
problems that MDX and OLAP are designed to help with. A fact table for
transactions and a fact table for regional populations, connected by a
region dimension would allow the problem of averaging "per capita" to be
solved with ease.

I know this might be annoying, but you might be guilty of re-inventing the
data warehouse! I can't recommend this book enough:

http://www.ralphkimball.com/html/booksDWT2.html

Cheers,
Donny.