[wdmmg-discuss] Failed to port datastore to RDF, will go Mongo

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:17:07 UTC 2010

Hi, Rufus.

About Mongo vs. SQL vs RDF.

I'have good experience using MongoDB last year. Our project Rosspending (
http://www.rosspending.ru) contains about 5 millon records of public
government contracts, goods records, suppliers and customers records.

Behind this all is MongoDB as main storage and MySQL as raw data storage and
it runs without any trouble.

About Mongo advantages I would like to add it's flexibility and
performance.
For schemaless data - it's probably best choice.

And disadvantages:
 - not space effective - same data in Mongo and SQL, in case of Mongo
allocates more disk space. Thats why we keep raw data outside MongoDB.

Also I think that it's not yet right to provide public access to the Mongo
rest api. I think that better way is to have wrapper using Rails/Django/any
other framework that will provide query results caching.

Best Regards,
   Ivan Begtin