[wdmmg-discuss] Spanish version of wdmmg online (and on the news)

David Cabo david.cabo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:11:29 UTC 2010

 Hi everybody,

 I've been working over the last couple of months in getting a spanish
version of wdmmg online (thanks Anna for all the support!). Right now
it's only the bubble diagram, but the plan is to slowly grow the site
to include more features and data. Here it is ("Where do my taxes go?"
would be the translation):

 http://www.dondevanmisimpuestos.es/

 If you do start looking at the actual numbers, a note: a big chunk of
the tax money in Spain is not actually spent by the central
government, but transferred to regions, since we have a
pseudo-federal-ish system where some stuff, like Health, is handled by
regions. We need to think on how to analyse and show this. Still, it's
very interesting to see the debt and unemployment costs grow
enormously over the last few years.

 The timing has been great, because a journalist from El País (#1
newspaper in Spain) was interested in writing about Open Data, so she
contacted our association (Pro Bono Publico) two weeks ago, and she
just published an article about the site (was linked from the front
page also last time I checked):

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/Pantallas/aplicacion/saber/destino/impuestos/elpepirtv/20101229elpepirtv_1/Tes

 5000 visits this morning, not bad for a start :)

/david