[wdmmg-discuss] Interesting rejection of a FOI request

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Tue Jul 13 20:50:58 UTC 2010

The whole of government accounts (WGA) has been running every year, for 10
years, and during this time the public have seen exactly zero results from
the exercise.

The WGA gives a very detailed picture of the financial health of every
government funded body -- so clearly would be really useful to where does
my money go.

I was told by the small team at the Communities and Local Government that
the WGA 2008/09 is sitting in the Treasury. I was also told that two
departments failed the WGA audit (the department of health and the
ministry of defense), which led to none of it being published.

So I asked for that report (minus the results for the two departments
that failed the audit):

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/whole_of_government_accounts_200#incoming-99856

The rejection I got was unlike anything else I have received.

They have the information I requested, but the reponse when to on say:

"Ministers and officials need space in which to develop policy, including
space for the development of policy through an interative process of
testing and refining ideas. This process could be weakened if information
was released prematurely or when proposals where not finalised, as this
could lead to poorer decision-making".

Any suggestions for how to proceed are most welcome.